- Choose an inspiration - I love to look at photos and try to look for outfits that include pieces I might already own, or items that can be easily replaced by something similar from my closet. This will help you find inspiration that fits your own style.
- Inspect your inspiration - What you want to do here, is really look at the inspiration, Analyze it from top to bottom. Why where you drawn to this photo, or window display? What about this article of clothing captured your attention? Try to pick out what complements what. This is the hint, later this will help you put together the outfit.
- Don’t go out and buy every single piece - I know it easiest to go out and buy just what is in the picture. But from that you will not be able to come up with your own style and have multiple uses for a garment, you just have single outfits. Of course, I know you might not own everything you need to recreate an outfit, sometimes that is why you are inspired by things. So be smart and pick and choose what you need to go buy and what you can re use in your closet.
- Focus on either shape or color - So if you find yourself in a bind and don’t have all the pieces you need and have decided it’s not something you want to invest in and buy, find out if you are inspired by the shape of the garment or the color of the piece. Once you know if it is the shape or the color you like run with that idea.
- Use the inspiration for a starting point - If it doesn't look the same thats ok, use that to create your own amazing outfit. If your inspiration wont work unless you go out and buy that exact copy, thats fine. But I want you to know any type of fashion inspiration can be used as a tipping point to create your own one of a kind look. Who knows maybe your outfit will be even better then the inspiration because it fits your true personal style.
An example of me using these types was in this previous post. I wear my army jacket a lot and wanted to wear it in a new fresh way. So I looked through pInterest and found an outfit by blair from atlantic pacific. I knew that I had items in my closet that I could re imagine my army jacket and recreate this outfit to work for me.